Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Journey Begins.... or Will it End Abruptly?

So yeah! Here we go! I sure picked a hell of a time to start playing online poker seriously. For years, Although I've been playing at Full Tilt and PokerStars for years now, I've only really been putting a lot of effort and time in to developing my game for the last two weeks.

Then today, browsing the PokerVT.com forums, I come across a thread that is discussing new internet gambling Bill being introduced by Senator Harry Reid of Nevada.

In a nutshell, the Bill will put a temporary block (at least 15 months) on internet gambling, more specifically online poker by U.S. citizens wanting to play at any international based online poker room that would ever want to seek a license to operate in the U.S. Two of the main sites would potentially include PokerStars.com and FullTilt.com.

There's far more to the story and I'm not long-winded enough to go over the specifics, however, this could significantly hamper my hopes and dreams of becoming the online poker professional that I strive to be in the near future.

Generally speaking, I believe the entire move revolves around the following agenda: 1. The Government pursuing a piece of the the tax revenue of a increasing popular new international based commercial market that in booming. 2. The existing U.S. based commercial gambling industry wanted to steal and monopolize every facet of gambline available to U.S. citizens both brick and mortar as well as online.

As I said, there's far more to the story, however, I'll stop my rant right here. There's tons of information and commentary on the subject if you're truly interested in the topic.

A good place to get the scoop from the poker players perspective is the following thread:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/29/news-views-gossip/brace-yourselves-2-2-americans-say-goodbye-online-poker-until-months-into-2012-a-933472/

No comments:

Post a Comment